In this week's eblast we have the following items newly posted to our websites:
1. September 2012 HCV Advocate
In This Issue:
- CDC:–Test Baby Boomers by Alan Franciscus, Editor-in-Chief. Read about the final recommendations that could save over 100,000 lives.
- HCV Snapshots by Lucinda K. Porter, RN - featured snapshots include Vitamin B12 Supplementation Improves Rates of Sustained Viral Response in Patients Chronically Infected with Hepatitis C Virus; Can Zinc Enhance Response to Interferon Therapy For Patients With HCV-Related Liver Disease?; and Effect of Silymarin (Milk Thistle) on Liver Disease in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C Unsuccessfully Treated with Interferon Therapy.
- HealthWise: - Hepatitis C Treatment Tips from Patients by Lucinda K. Porter, RN - patients make the best experts! Read some tips for getting through treatment.
- HCV and Coinfection Updates from the International AIDS Conference by Liz Highleyman - Liz reviews some of the conference highlights from one of the most important conferences on HIV with information about HCV and HIV/HCV coinfection.
- The Waiting Game by Alan Franciscus, Editor-in-Chief- the article will (hopefully) present some issues that should be addressed if someone is thinking of treatment now or waiting for newer therapies.
2. HBV Journal Review by Christine Kukka – in this month's Review Chris discusses the following news and journal items:
- Even Insured Adults with Access to Quality Care Aren’t Screened for Hepatitis
- Despite Immunizations, 28% of Children Born to HBV-Infected Mothers Have “Occult" Infections
- Despite Childhood Immunizations, Adult HBV Infections Slowly Increase after Adolescence
- Tattoo Ink Linked to Infection Outbreaks Across the U.S.
- Foreign-Born Asian-Americans Have Higher HBV Infection Rates than U.S.-Born
- Asian Ethnicity Does Not Increase Risk of Liver Cancer
- Fatty Liver Helps Patients Clear HBsAg, But at a Cost to Liver Health
- Men with Hepatitis B at Higher Risk of Pancreatic Cancer
- Sleeping Less Than Six Hours Nightly May Lower Vaccine’s Effectiveness
- Excessive Alcohol Use Lessens Entecavir’s Ability to Lower ALT in Patients
- Interferon Spurs HBeAg Seroconversion, but Entecavir Achieves Undetectable Viral Load
3. Factsheets and Guides – we continue to update our fact sheets and guides.
Check them out here
4. Training Schedule – Don’t forget to keep checking our Upcoming Training Workshop Schedules to see if we will be in your neighborhood soon!
Don’t forget that there is help as close as a phone call – the 877-HELP-4-HEP line (877-435-7443) is available 9:00am to 7:00pm Eastern Time. For more information about the services they offer either call or visit their Website at www.help4hep.org The helpline is run by The Support Partnership: a group of non-profits working together to help people affected by hepatitis C.
5. Top News (Blog) from the hepatitis blog includes:
and much, much more…..
Executive Director, Hepatitis C Support Project
Editor-in-Chief, HCV Advocate www.hcvadvocate.org
Editor-in-Chief, HBV Advocate www.hbvadvocate.org
**Questions and Comments: Questions and/or comments can be directed to email@example.com
**To receive the eblast in your email inbox simply send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with nothing in the subject line and the following in the message body: subscribe emailalert. Make sure your email address is all lower case.